Saturday, June 7, 2008

Andy on Andy

Andy: So tell us, Andy. Did you ride this morning?

Andy: Yes, as a matter of fact I did. Although it was a little tough getting out of bed. We had a rough night and wound up with both kids in bed and me sleeping in an S curve on about 6 inches of mattress.

Andy: But you made it up and out the door, yes?

Andy: Yes.

Andy: Oh good. And how did you feel?

Andy: Well to start, I felt terrible and kept second guessing how far I was actually going to go.

Andy: You poor baby. I hope you sucked it up and took one for all the people who have it a whole lot worse off then you in life?

Andy: That's not the most sensitive way to ask, but yes, I did.

Andy: And where did you go on your pity ride?

Andy: Look it wasn't a pity ride ok?!? I started out down Zuma like I like to: to spin and get my legs freshened up. I cut under the bridge at Busch and it was really flooded and full. Got my bike, back, and legs all wet.

Andy: Ahhhh...

Andy: But it is good to practice that since it is likely to be that way come September. Then I powered back down PCH. It is slightly uphill heading North (which is really West) through that section, but it prepares my body for the hill section.

Andy: You hate the hills don't you?

Andy: Not as much as you might think. I am really learning to love them. One of the riders on BT has the phrase "THE ONLY WAY TO GET BETTER AT CLIMBING HILLS IS....... CLIMBING HILLS" in his sig, and I thank Chris for that because I am really buying into that mentality.

Andy: So you come through the first set of hills...?

Andy: And it feels like my legs and back are about to fall off. But I persevered.

Andy: Oh we are so proud.

Andy: I can hear your sarcasm, you are in my head, remember.

Andy: Sorry.

Andy: It's all good. I need you, O Inner Voice, to continue to tell me to harden up. That's what will get me through this and make me a better athlete and person.

Andy: Aw shucks.

Andy: Not that I don't still ignore you and found you quite annoying.

Andy: So, back to the hills.

Andy: Yup, the second was a killer as usual. I call it the "Matador" since the turn off to El Matador is at the top. I find it helpful to channel my inner bull and beat down the matador as I climb that hill. El Matador is good inspiration to lose weight as well. I am sooo grateful for my bike and it holds up phenomenally well considering what I ask of it. But, I am very conscious of the fact that I dragging around my gigantic tookus when climbing.

Andy: How is that coming by the way?

Andy: Pretty well. I am back in some pants comfortably that I blew a button off before.

Andy: Congratulations. You have much further to go.

Andy: I know. Anyways, I got over the Matador and past Decker and came down through Leo Carillo. I decided that even though I was not feeling great to start, I would cut off miles from the end of my ride rather than the middle. I climbed the long slow hill out of Carillo and then turned around just after the top. I took a number of pictures on the ride, mostly of the hills that I was climbing for visualization purposes and to share with you, O Internet Community. But the picture at the bottom of the Carillo Hill (which is the toughest and therefore my favorite) was a mistake. I struggled to get my camera put away and lost all of my momentum.

Andy: Ha ha. /point /mock

Andy: Yeah, worked for that hill. But I did not stop! Slowed down to a miserable 5 miles an hour, but I never unclipped for a breather. In fact, I got my full-on race face going towards the top. I could hear another rider coming and checked over my shoulder briefly. As I was nearing the crest (which is not so much the top as a slight decrease in the degree of incline so your momentum builds) I jumped out of the saddle and started hammering, telling myself, "This guy is going to pass you, but you are going to make him work for it." And I stayed ahead of him for a good mile dropping into the big ring and powering ahead.

Andy: And then he passed you.

Andy: Yes, she did, but that is beside the point, Inner Voice. It is about a mentality that says, "I am in this to be more than I am."

Andy: Fair enough. Did you wuss out and call it a day after that section?

Andy: Nope, I did the Zuma leg a second time and practiced the bridge again. I am trying to gauge how to brake, steer, and move through there. And then rode back home. Good ride all told: 21.5 miles.

Andy: Well, no one is prouder than me.

Andy: Again with the sarcasm. What is your advice?

Andy: Next time do it faster, homes. Oh and harden up will ya?

No comments: